The fall semester has gotten off to a great start. We have some younger girls on Tuesdays and a little older on Wednesdays. Both groups have been so great! We started the semester off with T-Shirt Dresses with Pleather patch pockets (totally vegan, but more importantly- SO CUTE). The girls all chose their own contrasting vegan leather and each made their pockets slightly different. One little cutie asked to make her pockets Heart Shaped with red leather.
We recycled the pattern (The Charlie) used to make the T-shirts and sweatshirts from summer camp. To adapt for the shift dress shape we started by measuring out what length each girl wanted their dresses. Then added the difference (plus 1.5") to each pattern. On both the front and back patterns we added 2" to the width of the new hemline. THEN took this new width and drew a line connecting it to the armhole. (See Red line in drawing).
We shortened the sleeves a little, and added a patch pocket. *Note: If you are also sewing with a pleather it may be a bit sticky, and won't go through the machine easy. We used a walking foot to help this issue.
When using this pattern I found the shoulder curve on the sleeves to be a bit too short. When cutting add a little extra to each. See red lines below.
If you would like any more info on the project please let me know. If you make one at home I would love to see your version!